If you’re tired of mowing, fertilizing, and using precious resources like water to keep your grass looking lush and green, artificial grass may be the right choice for you. Artificial turf offers several benefits over natural grass and is available in a variety of options. Artificial grass costs vary by region, depending on the size of the area you are covering. Overall, in Canada you can expect to spend between $3,000 and $7,000 on material and installation. While there are several benefits to installing artificial turf on your property, cost is a significant determining factor. In this article we’ll explain the factors that affect artificial grass costs, the average cost for the different types of grass, compare prices from different supplies, and review some of the maintenance required to keep your artificial grass looking its best throughout the year.
Table of Contents:
- Factors Affecting Artificial Grass Costs
- Average Cost Ranges for Artificial Grass
- Artificial Grass Cost Estimator by Lawn Size
- Comparing Artificial Grass Prices from Different Suppliers
- Additional Costs to Consider
- Artificial Grass Installation
- Maintenance and Longevity Considerations
- Return on Investment (ROI) for Artificial Grass
Factors Affecting Artificial Grass Costs
As mentioned, several factors will affect the costs of artificial grass. You can expect to pay more if your property is on a slope or has curved edges. Installation costs will also be higher if your landscape has many trees or bushes, which requires additional cutting and is more labour-intensive. In addition, the type of synthetic grass you choose will also impact overall cost. There are several levels of synthetic grass to choose from, each with different price points.
So, how much does artificial grass cost? We’ll break it down more so you can get a better understanding.
Average Cost Ranges for Artificial Grass
With no upkeep required, synthetic grass is an attractive option for many homeowners. When broken down into square footage, the artificial grass price in Canada ranges from $5 to $20 per square foot. Some homeowners may wonder why there is such a variance in artificial turf cost. This is due to the fact that there are lower-end options, such as turf made from polyethylene or polypropylene materials that can help keep costs at the lower end of the price range. Even at a lower price point, this artificial turf still looks and feels nice, and you can usually have this economical turf installed for about $3,000.
Here are some of the most common synthetic grass types available
*Prices in Canadian Dollars
- Polyethylene (up to $2 per square foot)
- Polypropylene (between $2 and $3 per square foot)
- Nylon (about $3 per square foot on the low end, with premium options up to $16 per square foot)
Artificial Grass Cost Estimator by Lawn Size
A significant portion of artificial grass cost depends on the shape and size of your lawn. For example, if your area is about 500 square feet, the average cost is about $6,000. Remember, it’s the artificial grass cost per square foot that matters. Now, if you have a big yard and the lawn is about 1500 square feet, you can expect to pay about $22,000. These prices are the overall cost, which includes materials and labour.
Comparing Artificial Grass Prices from Different Suppliers
There are several different brands of artificial grass available, which affects the artificial grass cost. Some artificial grass supplies specialize in producing grass for commercial use and sports fields, so keep that in mind when comparison shopping.
Here are some of the most popular artificial turf brands available and their artificial grass price per square foot:
*Prices in Canadian Dollars
- ForeverLawn: $5.93 to $12.68
- DuraPlay: $3.28 to $15.64
- PreGra: $3.51 to $5.26
- SYNLawn: $6.61 to $9.71
- EnvyPet: $4.99 to $9.44
- Everlast: $2.68 to $6.74
- ProGreen: $5.93 to $15.38
- Onelawn: $3.03 to $9.78
- MegaGrass: $4.72 to $6.74
- Easy Turf: $2 to $2.70
- Perfect Turf: $5.39 to $6.74
Additional Costs to Consider
While the size of the coverage area, slope of your property, and amount of labour required will all impact artificial grass costs, several other factors can also affect the overall costs. For example:
- Turf face weight: typical face weight ranges from .75 kg to 1.75 kg. 1 - 1.5 kilograms is the preferred weight for residential purposes.
- Blade shape: Many blade shapes are available, and the costs may vary.
- S-Shaped: looks like natural grass. They have curved lines and vibrant, dark green colours. Ideal for lawns that don’t expect heavy foot traffic.
- C-Shaped: has a more sheen look than other options. Higher tolerance for wear and resilience under heavy foot traffic. An excellent choice for any backyard or commercial use.
- U-Shaped: flexible, thick, and full blades. Less glossy and suitable for areas with moderate to heavy foot traffic.
- V-Shaped: spring back quickly after being walked on. Have superior tolerance to wear and stand up straight more than other turf types.
- M-Shaped: very durable and ideal for yards with heavy foot traffic. This option is excellent for playing sports with your kids and friends.
- W-Shaped: very resistant to foot traffic—excellent heat diffusion, so it’s a perfect option for yards with extreme heat exposure.
- Diamond-Shaped: closely resembles the look and feel of natural grass. It’s soft and luxurious but not as durable as other shapes. Use it in yards with low to medium foot traffic.
- Omega-Shaped: soft with shorter blades than other shapes. It’s a good option if you have pets in the yard.
Artificial Grass Installation
As you may have determined, a significant portion of artificial grass cost per square foot is based on labour. Installing artificial grass is a time-consuming, labour-intensive project that is best done by someone with prior experience and expertise. In addition, the total installation cost may be higher or lower depending upon the amount of pre-preparation needed, as well as yard size. Therefore, it's important to factor in the costs of professional installation, which generally range between $3 to $5 per square foot and includes the removal of your old yard and any ground preparation, when looking at the overall installation costs.
Maintenance and Longevity Considerations
While synthetic grass is easier to maintain than a real lawn, it still requires some maintenance to keep it looking its best for many years.
Here are a few tips that will help you maintain your artificial grass, and keep it looking great for years to come:
- Don’t let pet waste sit on your turf. Clean pet waste as soon as possible, and hose the area or spray with a disinfectant.
- Remove any leaves and other debris that covers your grass.
- Apply weed killer.
- Have the infill replenished and the seams checked every few years.
- Use a push broom or leaf blower to clear the turf occasionally.
Return on Investment (ROI) for Artificial Grass
While the initial artificial grass cost per square foot involves an upfront investment, you’ll save money on lawn care and your water bill, which will offset this cost over time. You’ll also save on things money can’t buy, like the time it takes to mow, fertilize, and seed a natural lawn. Plus, synthetic grass will always look green, keeping your home’s curb appeal intact all year!
Get a Custom Artificial Grass Quote!
While nothing beats the smell and feel of real grass, an artificial lawn does offer many time and cost-saving benefits. If you’re considering having artificial grass installed for your yard, but would like to learn more about artificial turf cost and installation, contact The Grounds Guys® nearest you today. We offer a full-range of landscape and other services that can transform the look of your yard and keep it looking great all year round. Contact us for more information or a free estimate!
The Grounds Guys are a part of the Neighbourly community of home service brands and stand behind all our work with the Neighbourly Done Right Promise™, which guarantees your satisfaction.
- Home Improvement